Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Excusez Moi?

Well this is a first. A cashier actually told me to leave his store today. "Take it and go" were his exact words. Here are the transactions that put him over the edge...
Rite Aid - these rebates are mostly for DBF's account, which is why they're pretty much a repeat of yesterday
  • Psssssst shampoo $6.49, will submit for Try Me Free rebate (sticker on package) = FREE
  • Biore Pore Strips $9.99 (bought wrong size - has to be 6-8 ct) and Biore cleansing towelettes $5, used two $1 RA coupons, BOGO coupon (3/7 SS) and $2 off 2 coupon (got from inside a package I bought previously, I've also seen these on the packages) = $5.99 and counts towards SCR #41 $5 WYB 3, Limit 3 rebates
  • 2 Almay Makeup Remover Pads $5.50 each *These are NOT on sale for the BOGO price even though the store had them marked this way, used two $2 coupons (2/7 SS *these beeped) and will get back $5 (SCR #7, WYB 2) = $2 for both
  • Crest toothpaste $2.74, used $1 coupon (2/21 P&G) and will get back $1 (SCR #39) = $0.74
  • Used $5 off $20 coupon (or $5 off $25 coupon), total was $22.34

Man, that was a whole lotta stress for this cashier. The Almay coupons beeped, so he rang up one of the makeup removers, checked the price, voided that item and manually entered the coupon. He did the same thing for the Crest toothpaste coupon (don't ask me why) but then added a new twist - after scanning, he crumpled the coupon up in his hand and tossed it on the floor. Ok...

On to transaction two. I'd asked him before I even started if it was ok for me to do two transactions and he said that was fine. Apparently, at some point during transaction #1, he'd begun reevaluating that decision. I put up my three measly items and off we went.
  • 2 Cover Girl TrueBlend makeups (note - the coupons beeped on these items) $12.99 each, used BOGO coupon (2/7 P&G) and $1 coupon (2/7 P&G or 2/14 RP) = $1 profit
  • Metamucil Powder (114 dose) or Capsules (120 ct) $9.99, used $3 coupon (2/7 P&G) = $6.99
  • Used $5 off $20 coupon (or $5 off $25 coupon), total was $0.99 because...

He could not figure out how to enter in the $12.99 price manually for the Cover Girl coupon. So he decided to void one of the CG makeups off the receipt, so I was only paying for one. Normally that would have been fine with me, but since these are on sale (BOGO), that means I'm paying for one of them when that should have been free with the sale. When I pointed this out to him, I swear he was going to blow a gasket. He voided off the second CG and said - "take it and go." RUDE! I'm going to write RA Customer Service about his horrible attitude. Plus it can't be correct for him to let me walk out of the store with two items that I didn't pay for (coupons or not)!

I went to another RA that's much friendlier to discuss what happened. I mistakingly thought he'd charged me for three Almays (because of that void) so the cashier and I carefully went through the receipt together. She showed me that I only paid for two, which was a relief.

  • Prevacid 24 Hour (42 ct) $25.99, used $10 coupon (USA Weekend) OR $10 RA coupon (this is a manufacturer's coupon, not a RA coupon) and will submit for TMF rebate (2/28 Parade Magazine in newspaper) for $21.99 = $6 profit
  • Biore Pore Strips $10.49 (bought wrong size - has to be 6-8 ct) and Biore cleansing towelettes $4.24, used two $1 RA coupons, BOGO coupon (3/7 SS) and $2 off 2 coupon (got from inside a package I bought previously, I've also seen these on the packages) = $6.49 and counts towards SCR #41 $5 WYB 3, Limit 3 rebates
  • Metamucil Powder (114 dose) or Capsules (120 ct) $9.99, used $3 coupon (2/7 P&G) = $6.99
  • Used $5 off $20 coupon (or $5 off $25 coupon), total was $25.15

After I checked out, the cashier and I were chatting and we realized that the Biore strips were more expensive than they should have been ($10.49 - should have been $5). Turns out I bought the wrong size (14 ct), both at this store and the "fun" store before. I returned both those packages and exchanged them for two of the right size - refund of $11.22. Then she and the manager did a return/thingie to give me back $4 cash. They scanned two $2 off 2 coupons from the packages of the strips and gave me cash for them! How cool is that?

One last store - drama free!

  • Metamucil Powder (114 dose) or Capsules (120 ct) $9.99, used $3 coupon (2/7 P&G) = $6.99
  • 4 Cover Girl powders $6.05 each, BOGO sale, used two BOGO coupons (2/7 P&G) = FREE *no-go on also using the $1 coupons at this store
  • Used $5 off $20 coupon (or $5 off $25 coupon), total was $2.52

Then I bought:

  • Prevacid 24 Hour (42 ct) $25.99, used $10 coupon (USA Weekend) OR $10 RA coupon (this is a manufacturer's coupon, not a RA coupon) and will submit for TMF rebate (2/28 Parade Magazine in newspaper) for $21.99 = $6 profit
  • 2 Almay One Coat Mascaras $6.99 each, BOGO sale, used two $2 coupons (2/7 SS) and will get back $5 (SCR #7, WYB 2) = FREE/$0.01 profit *Just realized they entered the coupons as $2 items, not coupons. So it looks like I bought two $2 items. SIGH Guess I'm going back tomorrow about that
  • Used $5 off $20 coupon (or $5 off $25 coupon), total was $22.12

And one quick trip to Walgreens for mushrooms - $0.50 each, used gift card I bought using RR's

Ok dear friends, did you get all that? No? Well, I have no idea how I did today either, so let's break it down:

My rebates - bought yesterday and today:

  • John Frieda $10 SCR #41 ($5 WYB $15, Limit 3) - I bought 6 bottles so I could buy three more or do the Biore deal again (same rebate)
  • Metamucil & Crest $10 RiteAid gift card SCR #18
  • Crest toothpaste $1 SCR #39
  • Almay Mascaras $5 SCR #7
  • Prevacid $21.99 rebate
  • Spent $37.87 total, $47.99 coming back in rebates = $10.12 profit including tax

DBF's rebates

  • Biore $5 SCR #41 ($5 WYB $15, Limit 3) - I have to buy at least one more to get up to $10.
  • Metamucil & Crest $10 RiteAid gift card SCR #18
  • Crest toothpaste $1 SCR #39
  • Almay Makeup Removers $5 SCR #7
  • Prevacid $21.99 rebate
  • Pssssst $6.49 rebate
  • Spent $31.78 total, $49.48 coming back in rebates = $17.70 profit

I'm going to buy 5 more Biore's to max the rebate, that's $25 total. I would use two BOGO coupons, one $5 off $25 coupon, five $1 RA coupons and two $2 off 2 coupons, making my OOP $1. Then I'll get back another $15 for that rebate. Man, maybe I should have done that in the first place! All these coupon issues today gave me a headache!

10 comments:

Jen said...

Man, "rude" is right! I'm sure his store manager will love that he crumpled up your q and tossed it so they might not get reimbursed for it LOL! Awesome that you made out with so much stuff today though!

Queenbuv3 said...

Do you remember my run in with the manager at Wags last week? Well, I finally spoke with the store manager and he said that the guy was filling in for a regular employee and everything he told me was wrong! I went to Wags today and guess who was standing right where I picked up my first item on my list? He saw me and immediately went out back.

Did you call the store headquarters to make a complaint?

Kathy said...

Suz - HOW IN THE H E L L DO YOU KEEP THIS ALL STRAIGHT??? It gives me a headache just reading what you do!!!!! LOL

slugmama said...

Now my head hurts just reading all this.lol...but you did well despite it all.

Simplysara said...

I had a girl tonight tell me that she knew the BOGO coupon policy but if the register wouldn't take it then she couldn't do it. When it beeped for her to put in the price she said, sorry the register won't do it. I asked for the manager and she made it work, after I showed her the printed coupon policy.

Laurie said...

What a strange encounter you had!! That may have been enough to send me over the edge. Great shopping trips!

frugalsuz said...

Jennifer,
I know, right? I was thinking that too as he threw it on the ground.

Queenbuv3,
I haven't called yet, but I will. That's funny that the guy basically ran away from you!

Kathleen,
lol, careful notes! For deals this tricky, I always plan everything out before heading into the store. This week has really been complicated though, and it took me forever to sort out the receipts.

slugmama,
Maybe that's why I woke up with a headache today? haha

Simplysara,
Oh jeez, what a dope. You know she didn't even look at the screen to see what it was prompting her for. I'll never understand why some people are such coupon haters.

Chicagolandia said...

Wow - It must be raining rude cashiers!
Amazing deals!!

spaghetti0625 said...

I just thought of an idea while reading your post.
Stores should use examples out of us when they train their people to do coupons. Start with an easy transaction where one or two coupons are used, then work their way up to something that a hound would do.
Hmmmmm, wonder if we should patent this lol

Unknown said...

Our rite aid went out of business about a year ago, but before it did, when i'd walk in the doors the cashiers would all leave their cash registers! no one would ever check me out because I had too many coupons, or at least thats what the manager once told me! haha... oh how i miss rite aid!!