...I make muffins! I had some apples begging to be used up, so I whipped up some apple cinnamon muffins.
On a random note, it was 106 degrees today. In New Jersey. I don't live in Arizona for pete's sake! I don't think I've ever seen it get this hot before and I've lived here all my life. Good thing I didn't have any hounding to do today, I would have melted along with my groceries!
As requested, here are the receipes:
Apple Coffee Cake
Streusel Topping: 2/3 cup Bisquick, 2/3 packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/4 cup firm butter or stick margarine. Mix dry ingredients together and cut in butter.
2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
2 medium cooking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (2 cups)
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (I left these out)
Glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2-3 tablespoons milk. Mix until thin enough to drizzle.
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of 9x9x2 square pan with shortening
2) Make streusel topping & set aside
3) Stir Bisquick, milk, sugar and egg until blended, beat vigorously for 30 seconds. Spread half of batter into pan. Arrange apple slices on batter, sprinkle with half of topping. Spread remaining batter over apple and sprinkle with rest of topping. Sprinkle with nuts. *I didn't think there was enough batter to divide in half, so I mixed the apples in the batter and just dumped it all out at once.
4) Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 20 mins in pan on wire rack. Drizzle with glaze
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
Streusel Topping: 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 2 tablespoons firm butter or stick margarine. Mix dry ingredients and then cut in butter.
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped peeled apple (1 medium)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1) Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottoms of muffin pan or fill with baking cups
2) Make streusel topping, set aside
3) Beat milk, oil, apple and egg in large bowl with fork or wisk. Stir in flour, ground cinnamon, sugar, baking powder and salt all at once until flour is moistened (batter will be lumpy).
4) Divide batter evenly among muffin cups and sprinkle with about 1 tablespoon topping.
5) Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.