Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Freebies at A&P

Dawn is 10 for $10 this week at A&P. There are $0.20 coupons in the 6/1 P&G and there were $1 coupons in the A&P Coupon Booklet from a couple weeks back. Hmm, me wonders - can I use both? I thought I'd give it a try, and honestly, I'm really not sure if it worked out. Here's what I got:

2 Dawns $1 each
A&P Strawberry Jelly $2.39...but rang up as $2.59 so I got this for free - yay!
Glade Car air freshner refill - I did the TMF rebate a while back and Glade just sent me a letter saying they calculated the rebate incorrectly (I'm pretty sure they didn't) and gave me a coupon for a free one! My DBF got one too since I did the rebate in his name as well.


Now here's where it gets confusing. I did the self-scan and used my two $0.20 coupons. Both doubled and went through fine. That's $0.80 off the total of $2 for the Dawn. Then I tried the A&P coupon for $1. No problem - down $1.80 off $2. I scanned the second $1 coupon and it beeped. I gave it to the cashier who mans the self-scan area. He wasn't overly friendly (young guy - looked bored to tears) and he did something to the computer. He then had to handle the coupon for the free Glade. I paid my total of $3.07 and left the store. As I'm walking out, I realize the jelly should have been $2.39 and also that he didn't scan my second $1 coupon. I head back into Customer Service. She checks the price on the jelly and gives me back $2.59 for that. Then we start on the Dawn coupon mess.

She has to go over to the register and get all my coupons (I was on my lunch and by now, I've been in the store a little too long). We realize it won't accept the second $1 coupon because there would be overage. That's ok with me and I asked if I could use both $1 coupons instead of the two $0.20 coupons, since that makes the Dawns both free. I really don't know what happened next, but she gave me back $0.20 (making the Dawns free) and gave me back my $1 coupon! I can now get another Dawn for free.

I'm so confused by this whole transaction, but after all was said and done, I paid $0.28 - which amounts to just the tax on all this stuff. Not too shabby.

No comments: