Monday, July 9, 2012

What's Yellow and Blue and Orange and Red? Oh and Pink? And Green Too?

Any guesses?  

On a random note, da boyfriend and I just finished watching Temple Grandin with Claire Danes.  Have you seen this movie?  I remember reading about Temple when I was in college.  She has autism and grew up in the 1950's, when very little was known about autism or asperger's disorder.  She has since earned her Doctoral degree and is an expert on animal handling.  She's revolutionized the equipment that handles livestock, designing equipment to calm and soothe the animals.  She's also done so much to help those with autism, speaking at conferences and writing about what it feels like to see the world as she does.  Its a heartwarming story and gives you a bit of insight into how a person with autism perceives things differently.  I used to work at a facility that cared for adults with autism and it was one of the most difficult jobs I've ever had.    
Rite Aid

  • 2 $20 Home Improvement Gift Cards, got back two $5 UP's (monthly deal, Limit 2) = $10 profit

Stop & Shop - did a deal in each state.  Here's the NJ deal first -

  • $100 Visa Gift Card + $5.95 activation fee, got back $10 catalina = $4.05 profit
  • 6 Pure Silk Shaving Creams $1.50 each, used six $0.80 coupons (7/8 RP) = FREE
  • 8 Hefty EZ Grip Cups $2 each, used four $1 off 2 coupons (5/13 SS), got back $4 instant savings (for purchasing 8) and will send away for $5 Reynold's/Hefty rebate (tearpad, WYB $15 worth of Reynold's/Hefty items) = $3 or $0.37 each
  • Total was $113.58

Then in NY, I bought:

  • $100 Visa Gift Card + $5.95 activation fee, got back $10 catalina = $4.05 profit
  • 10 Mars King Size Candy Bars $1.25 each, used five $0.50 off 2 tearpad coupons (only two doubled for whatever reason) = $9 
  • Used $10 catalina from previous gift card purchase, total was $105.07
I might use this receipt towards the $25 Amstel NBPR rebate (WYB $100 of groceries) and black out the items purchased on the receipt.  I did this with another recent purchase when I bought a gift card.  I haven't received anything back yet on that rebate, but I don't see why I'd have a problem.

The candy counts towards a gas discount deal this week.  When you buy five candy bars, you get a $0.30 per gallon discount.  I bought ten bars (so I could use the $10 catalina and my $0.50 off 2 coupons), so I've now qualified for $0.60 off a gallon.  You can fill up a max of 35 gallons, so that works out to $21 in gas...for $5.07!  Kudos to Melanie for posting (as always) about these fantastic gas deals at S&S!

I'm planning on picking up three bags of M&M's tomorrow ($3 each), using the $1.50 off 2 coupon from the 6/17 RP and sending away for the movie ticket rebate ($9 movie money good towards a ticket or DVD).  You have to buy three specially marked bags for the rebate, so I'll get those plus two candy bars = $9 + $2.50 - $1.50/2 M&M's coupon - $0.50 off 2 tearpad coupon = $9.50 (assuming the tearpad coupon doesn't double).  Then I'll get back $9 in movie cash plus $0.30 off a gallon ($10.50 equivalent) = $10 profit!
I found this brown sugar on clearance at Target over the weekend.  At $1.18 a bag, it was a steal so I picked up four bags.  They also had confectioners sugar and other baking items on clearance as well.
So did you guess correctly?  My ever-so-crafty sister made this perky wreath out of brightly colored drink umbrellas!  She said it took her forever to open up all the umbrellas and arrange them "just so."  Isn't it festive and summery?

No comments: