Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sometimes You're the Windshield...

...and sometimes you're the bug. Today I was definitely the bug. I woke up with a bad headache, but I was determined to get my shopping done so I could relax the rest of the day.
Stop one was Rite Aid to pick up some Gillette razors for DBF. You get a $10 UP when you spend $30 this week and since DBF is all but out, this is a pretty great deal. The first store we checked out only had the power razors, which only have one cartridge. I always try and get the manual razors since those have two. We left without buying anything and headed to another store. This one had more razors, but the prices were much higher. The individual razors were around $13.49. Third time's the charm - we hit up a third store that had one manual razor and three power ones. I wasn't thrilled with the selection, but was getting tired of running around. The power razors were marked as $12.99 each and the manual was $10.99. If I bought two power and one manual, my total would be $29 something after my 20% discount, so I picked up a fourth power razor.

But...they all rang up as $12.99 regular price, so $10.39 after 20%. Grr! I had a feeling the prices were off, but its hard to tell from looking at the display screen if you're seeing a sale price or your discounted price. I only needed to buy three! Here's how that transaction went:

RA
  • 4 Gillette ProGlide Razors $10.39 each ($12.99 reg price, 20% discount), used four $4 coupons (2/27 P&G) and got back $10 UP (WYB $30)
  • Used $1 Video Values coupon and $3/$15 survey coupon (got from receipt on previous purchase) and $7 UP's, total was $17.19
This works out to $14.19 or $3.54 a razor. Not a very hot deal at all! But if I'd just bought three razors, it would have worked out to $6.17 or $2.05 a razor. I can live with that. I'll pick up another three on my other card later this week.

Walgreens - wanted to also pick up some Always liners, but I couldn't find the right size box. I had the cashier scan the 34 count of the liners, but it didn't ring up on sale.
  • Almay Mascara $5.59, used $2 coupon (3/6 SS) and $2 WAG coupon (Spring Beauty Book) and got back $5 RR = $3.41 profit
  • Total was $1.98 *This mascara was marked as being on sale for $4.19. I realized this after I'd paid and the manager refunded me $1.50 cash for the difference.
Then I used my $5 RR on:
  • Tena Serenity Pads $9.99, used $2.50 coupon and got back $10 RR = $2.50 profit
  • Snicker PB candy bar $0.49
  • Used $5 RR, total was $3.02
At another WAG, I did basically the same thing:
  • Almay Eye Shadow Trio $5.59, used $2 WAG coupon (Spring Beauty Book) and got back $5 RR = $1.41 profit *Only got one $2 manu coupon in my inserts, bummer
  • Total was $1.98 *The WAG coupon beeped on this item. The cashier adjusted the price of the eyeshadow down to $3.59. It didn't beep when I bought the mascara at the first store.
Then -
  • Tena Serenity Pads $9.99, used $2.50 coupon and got back $10 RR = $2.50 profit
  • Snicker PB candy bar $0.49
  • Used $5 RR, total was $3.02
My plan was to use the $10 RR from Tena towards the Neuragen that's free after rebate, but I left that RR in the car. I'll get some tomorrow.

CVS
  • Allegra Allergy (5 ct) $6.99, used $2 coupon (or here or 3/6 SS) and got back $6.99 EB (Limit 1) = $2 profit
  • Used $1 EB and $3.29 EB, total was $0.70

No comments: