Friday, October 10, 2008

Hounding Mojo

I don't know what it is, but this week, I've really just felt like hounding! Ever get that way? After all, its not like I need any more toothpaste, toothbrushes, cleaners or air fresheners (goodness, please no more air fresheners!). Pretty much everything I've bought this week will be donated, and its a nice feeling to be able to do that. I'm going to have to bag everything up soon. My donation table in my garage is starting to overflow.
Target
  • 11 J&J Bath Buddies $0.99 each (still at this price! All other stores around me have jacked these up to $1.19), used five $1 coupons (or here) and two $3 off 3 coupons (9/14 SS) = FREE This finally used up all the coupons I got from fellow hounds back in August - phew! Thanks houndfriends!
  • 4 Tidy Cats litter pads $4.49 each, used four $1 coupons (9/14 RP - thanks again hitenney!) = $3.49 each
  • Total was $15.57
Walgreens
  • Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner $19.99, used $10 coupon and will get back $10 ESR (#29, limit 1) = FREE
  • Scrubbing Bubbles Action Scrubber $3.99, will get back $1.50 ESR (#30 - Limit 4) and submit for Try Me Free rebate (9/21 SS) = $1.50 profit
  • 3 Crest toothpastes $1.99 each, used three $1 coupons (9/28 P&G) and $1 coupon from Easy Saver booklet = FREE
  • Windex $2.50, used $2 coupon and will get back $1 rebate (ESR #27, limit 1) = $0.50 profit
  • Used $4.50 RR, total was $12.22
CVS - DBF's card
  • Arm & Hammer Essentials cleanser $2.50, used $1 coupon (click on "Get Coupons" on top left-hand side of screen) and will submit for Try Me Free rebate (or 10/5 SS) = $1 profit
  • CVS bar soap $0.99, get back $1 ECB = FREE
  • Used $2 ECB, total was $0.59

CVS - my card

  • Arm & Hammer Essentials cleanser $2.50, used $1 coupon (click on "Get Coupons" on top left-hand side of screen) and will submit for Try Me Free rebate (or 10/5 SS) = $1 profit
  • 2 Colgate Max Fresh toothpastes $2.99, used two $1 coupons (9/28 SS) and got back two $2 ECB = FREE
  • Used $4.98 ECB, total was $0.74

ShopRite

Let me tell you about this deal! Oy. On Thursday, I saw a post on HCW that detailed this deal: buy Glade Plug-In warmers for $4.49 each, get back a $4 catalina on each and use BOGO coupons. So for every two that you buy, you make $3.51. In addition, ShopRite is running a promo this week where if you buy $75 worth of certain brands, you get a $25 gas gift card. That's a $55 profit! Glade counts towards this promo, so I'd need to buy 17 warmers to get up to $75. You have to purchase everything in one day, and since SR only allows you to use four of the same coupon in one transaction, you'd have to break it up into two transactions (at least).

So, I went to SR #1 on my lunch break and found 2 warmers = $3.99 OOP (cashier took off $4.99 for BOGO coupon instead of $4.49). After work, I went to 3 other ShopRites and only found three more warmers in all of these stores. I bought these three, so that's $8.98 OOP. I then went to a final store (open 24 hours, saved this one for last) and they had one measly little warmer on the shelf. By now, its about 9 pm and I'm exhausted from working all day, driving my hour long commute home and then all this driving around searching for my $55 profit. I went to Customer Service wishin' and hopin' and prayin' they could help. I asked - could pay for the warmer 12 times and get a raincheck to pick up the actual product later - nope. Could I come back another day when the Glade is in stock, return the ones I'd bought previously and rebuy them so they'd all be purchased on the same day? Nope. Could I get a waiver/pardon for the one day rule for the gift card? Nope.

Man, I was frustrated. I still got a $4 catalina for every warmer I bought, so I still made money off the deal. But it was such a long day and I was frustrated with myself for not giving up on the deal sooner. You know when you get an idea in your head and you just have to follow it through to the end? That was me. After each store, I thought, I should really just call it a day and go home. But...$55 profit...well, let me try just one more store. And off I'd go. This is what I looked like after I'd left the final store (my makeup was a little smudged, hence the dirty eyes):

  • 4 Gum toothbrushes $0.88 each, used four $1 coupons (8/3 or 9/14 RP - first three went through as $1, cashier adjusted last one to $0.88) = $0.36 profit
  • 5 Glade Plug-In warmers $4.49 each, get back $4 catalina for each, used BOGO coupons (9/28 SS)
  • Total was $14.38, got back $20 in catalinas

1 comment:

Lisa B. said...

You are just too good! ;)